STREET NAMES: Treatment area located between Alexandra Parade (north), Hoddle Street (east), Johnston Street (south) and Nicholson Street (west)
SUBURBS: Fitzroy and Collingwood
MUNICIPALITY: City of Yarra, Melbourne
STATE & COUNTRY: Victoria, Australia
SPEED REDUCTION: From 40 km/h to 30 km/h
DATE IMPLEMENTED: December 2019
- Widening of footpaths to include alfresco dining
- Painted on road bike sharrows in each direction
- Wombat crossings on roundabouts
- Reduction of traffic lanes from two to one
- Activation of Laneways which lead to off street parking
- Installation of dwell-time infrastructure- seating, public art
- Wombat Crossings midblock
- Improvement to Pavement/kerb and channel to allow easy access for everyone
COST: Not available
Non-treatment area for control purposes located adjacent to the treatment area.
- Lower speed limit and changes to intersection layout = reduce likelihood and severity of crash types
- Widened Zebra crossings provide pedestrian priority and consolidate pedestrian movement
The scheme included signage only. With additional infrastructure calming measures such as curb extensions, speed bumps, intersection platforms, further speed reduction improvements would be expected.
The choice control region for this study was not seen as ideal.